Monday, February 27, 2012

Moon Full-bright

Tonight, your eyes shine in the
glimmer of a moon full-bright,
as under its watchful gaze we sit, and
somehow the darkness becomes alive
with fire.

A night after midnight and long in the making;
years gone by with friendly gestures and
at times tensions almost unbearable,
yet years numbered nine in which life indeed
was still lived.

Tonight, my heart is not moved by loneliness;
it leaps from my chest to my throat to my mouth
with more than the courage that comes by whiskey;
it is passion and longing and romance by which it moves
and is freed.

A night where the rain from early evening
still lingers in tears on blades of grass,
and has given to the air a coolness unexpected,
an appreciated reprieve from the usual August heat.
Yet there is heat.

For tonight, through long years, is when we kiss again,
unburdened by time and perhaps led by it to this holy moment;
rambling words from my mouth put furiously to halt by
your lips come to mine, where we make peace and rest and laughter,
a feeling right, a sensation euphoric.

Your familiar lips and taste I
remember from long ago,
and by them I am taken from myself once again,
and more than I remember.

By them I hope one day for more;
by them I feel walls around our hearts have crumbled.
What will be is known only by the moon full-bright;
what will be will, by God, travel far beyond tonight.

Written August 17, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment