Monday, February 27, 2012

Friends

written to the melody of "Million Dollar Bill" by Dawes

I'm sorry if my words
weren't clear enough for understanding,
sometimes I think I'm just scared of the truth.
Of how I feel each and every
time that you're around me;
what runs through my head is all I've got to lose.

I will bring the beer and
you'll line up the shots of bourbon,
we won't think about the things that hold us back.
By the end of the night we will
sing sweet songs together
and kiss so you forget the things I lack.

I will let you cook me dinner
like you did that time before,
what now seems like it was so long ago.
And that thing we had between us,
call it light or call it love,
before you walked away, might come back full aglow.

I'd be lying if I said
it didn't hurt to see you with him,
he could never know you like you know I do.
Guess I'll be waiting 'round forever
if forever is a door that
when you turn around will gently close on you.

I must say I ain't there yet,
I'm just doomed to live and pine
for a girl who may not come again to me.
'Cause I'd drive 64 each and every
night to see you even
if when I arrived you made me leave.

See the thing is that you fear
anything you feel that's real,
deep in your bones and in your soul and in your heart.
But if you choose to deny me
for one reason or another,
we can't be friends 'cause I can't play that part.

Originally written and posted 9/28/11

No comments:

Post a Comment